Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Final Reflection


                      Being a part of the Hunter College early college program has helped me learn a lot about how college is going to be for me. Though I was unable to take actual college classes in Hunter as my classmates did to get the full experience, I learned a lot about handling my time, the difference in freedom between the high school and college and actually making sure I stay on top of my work. Some of the obstacles I faced this year were the retaking of regents I had failed, geometry credit I needed to receive through math class, and on top of that dealing with my grandmother's death and even before that her constant moments being in and out of the hospital and my mother's stress and breakdowns. To overcome my regents I studied and studied and even when I didn't friends helped me stay on track. For my math class I did the exact same. With that I succeeded in passing my US History Regents that I needed to graduate and getting the credit I was missing for my math class. I was so happy and proud of myself and it felt even better when my parents were proud of me too. Although all this good was occurring, I had negativity happening at home with my grandma. She was ill with Pancreas Cancer and my mother seemed to be devastated and broke down so often; my grandma was in and out the hospital, it was just a lot to handle throughout that time. I was stressed with my regents and stressed with friends and stressed with my mom and dad and stressed with my grandma's situation. When she passed away it hurt me even worse because I had to hold everything in for my mother and eventually I broke down as well. Even though I'm still dealing with the passing, I'm getting through it each day and it's all thanks to certain friends and my teachers. In fiction writing class I learned a lot about how to actually write out certain techniques such as flashback and slow motion, etc. Along with that I learned simple writing rules that I feel everyone should learn for essay writing in their future especially for college. The techniques we learned I feel will help me a great amount in the future when it comes to my own stories as well as writings for or in class. I learned as a writer that I do my best work at night because that's when my ideas mainly come into play. I also learned that I have a huge liking of writing with sensory image and using my own experiences within the stories. This year I didn't take any college classes but even with that fact I feel I got a good experience with the new level of freedom. I feel the only thing I really need to work on for college is my studying habits. I feel though once I start college I'll be more focused and more motivated because of more freedom. I'll definitely get help with tutoring at college as well to improve on my studying skills. At Hunter college I used mainly the library and it's private study rooms or computer lab to study whenever it was needed. Being a part of this early college program didn't really have me learn anything new about myself but the fact that I had grown an even bigger passion for education in my life and the effect it has on it. I will be starting school in LaGuardia in Fall 2012 and am excited as ever. My goals in life were mainly to finish college, first goal in my studying career to be graduating with a master's degree and if I ever wish to go back I will. During this time and continuing to do so after, I wish to travel the world. It's always been a goal of mine to travel the world, first places being Japan and Spain because of my love for Japan's art and my wanting of visiting the land where my last name originated from. I feel I will make more goals throughout this time. In 5 years I see myself working for my master's degree in Hunter College. In 10 years I see myself working in either a hospital or a school depending on which I choose I want more before those years with some new goals and some of my traveling done. In 20 years I see myself working more with my art and writing along side my psychology work and making my childhood dreams come true. To the future MHSHS students attending this program, enjoy your senior year to the fullest. Use your freedom to your advantage and learn how to manage your time with friends and your time with studying and homework. Once you learn how to manage your time properly you are ready for anything.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful year of self discovery you had, Alex! It was such a pleasure having you in class this year and I just know that I am going to hear wonderful things from you in the future (because YOU WILL KEEP IN TOUCH!).
    All my best,
    -Mrs. DeFeo

    ReplyDelete